- The scientific name for banana is musa sapientum, which means “fruit of the wise men.”
- Bananas don’t actually grow on trees they grow on plants that are officially classified as an herb. They’re in the same family as lilies, orchids, and palms.
- Banana plants grow up to 25 feet high, and their leaves can grow to be 9 feet long and 2 feet wide. Their roots can be hundreds of years old.
- Bananas are technically berries and there are different varieties are cultivated around the world.
- Banana plants grow not from seeds but from bulbs.
- A cluster of bananas is called a hand, and a single banana is called a finger. Each banana hand has about 10 to 20 fingers.
- About 75 percent of the weight of a banana is water.
- Bananas first appeared in written history in the 6th century B.C.
- Bananas have been depicted in ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs.
- Bananas were probably the first cultivated fruit, and the first banana farms were located in Southeast Asia.
- More than 100 billion bananas are eaten every year in the world, making them the fourth most popular agricultural product.
- India produces more bananas than any other country on the planet, accounting for about 28 percent of the worldwide crop.
- Uganda has the highest average per person consumption in the world.
- Bananas have high nutritional value and are a healthy snack.
- Plantains are harder and contain less sugar than normal bananas, they are often used in cooking.
- Bananas are rich in potassium, making them more radioactive than other fruits. You don’t need to worry though as this naturally occurring radiation has very little effect on the body.
- Bananas are the only fruit that contains the amino acid tryptophan plus vitamin B6. They help your body produce serotonin—a natural substance that alleviates depression.
- About half of all people who are allergic to latex are often also allergic to bananas.
- Banana peels are useful in home like cleaning silver items, polishing leather items.
- Banana peels work wonders when applied on any insect bites and small burns they reduce pain and swelling , they help in reducing headache when applied on forehead, regular application on wart help in shrinking it.
Amount 1 medium size (7″ to 7-7/8″ long) (118 g)