- Chandragiri fort is the famous historical fort, built in the 11th century, and the Raja Mahal (Palace) within it.
- In the year 1646, the fort was merged into the territories of Golconda fort. Chandragiri fort was then surrendered to Hyder Ali in 1782 and then was taken over by Mysore kings until the treaty of Sreerangapatnam in 1792.
- The fort encircles eight ruined temples of saivite and vaishnavite pantheons, Raja Mahal, Rani Mahal and other ruined structures.
- The fort stands on a huge granite rock, which is about 183m high. The southern side of the hill is enclosed by strong walls, now in ruins surrounded by a ditch, once fed by a natural spring, but now almost dry.
- The remains of the lower fort contain the two Mahals, the lower portion of which is built in stone and the upper in brick.
- The main building known as the ‘Raj (Chandragiri) Mahal’ is majestic in appearance. The modern town of Chandragiri lies to the east of the hill on which the fort stands.
- The Chandragiri Fort is located at Chandragiri, 12 kms from Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, INDIA.
- The Chandragiri Fort dates back to 1000 AD.
- The fort was built in Indo-Saracenic Revival Architecture of Vijayanagara period.
- The fort is strategically located over the top of a small 183m hill. The southern side of the hill is enclosed by strong walls, surrounded by a ditch so as to prevent any intruder from entering into the fort.
- The remains of the lower fort contain the two Mahals, the lower portion of which is built in stone and the upper in brick. The main building known as the ‘Raj (Chandragiri) Mahal’ is majestic in appearance and with the modern colorful lighting system introduced, the Mahal is a delight to the eyes during night.
- Chandragiri was under the rule of Yadava Naidus for about three centuries and came into control of Vijayanagar rulers in 1367.
Chandragiri was the 4th capital of Vijayanagar Empire.
- The greatest of Hindu Emperors, Krishnadeva Raya of Vijayanagara Empire was brought up at Chandragiri Fort.
- Timmarasu’s before becoming Prime minister of Vijayanagar Empire served at Chandragiri Fort.
- In 1646 the fort was annexed to the Golkonda territory and subsequently under Kingdom of Mysore rule.
- King’s palace or Raja Mahal was a three storied palace decked and capped with Hindu architectural elements is the finest pattern of Indo-Saracen architecture.
- The material used in fabricating the palace are stone, brick, lime mortar but without the use of timber. The tower in the middle that shelters the durbar hall is upto the two storey’s.
- In 1640 Sri Rangaraya allowed this site as the site for fort St. George to the British. The gigantic pillars rise above the floor and the walls share the beauty of fine coating and have been immensely decorated.
- Queen’s palace or Rani Mahal shares a similar pattern and architecture as that of the King’s Palace. The ground floor was firm and the first floor comprised of rooms with leveled top was festooned and ornated with sikhara. As per the prevalent saying the place belonged to the Queen or harem.
- Chandragiri palace is dedicated to the moon god. All Yadavs followed this tradition which had 46 generations. Chandragiri has been passed on from one dynasty to another in quick succession.