- In remembrance of Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya, the most outstanding Engineer, the Engineering fraternity of India celebrates “Engineer’s Day” every year on 15th of September.
- Every year the celebration of the Engineer’s Day revolves around a central theme that is notified to all states and local centers. “Making Indian Engineering World-class” is theme of Engineers Day 2014.
- Internationally recognised for his genius in harnessing water resources, he was responsible for successful design and construction of several river dams, bridges and implementing irrigation and drinking water schemes all over India.
- He is known to be the greatest engineer, who with his vision and dedication in the field of engineering made some exceptional contributions to India. Owing to his contribution he was honored with the highest state award of India, the “The Bharat Ratna”, in the year 1955.
- Sir MV was the driving force behind the construction of many major dams and water supply schemes across the country. Many dams built by him in Bombay are still functional even till today. The famous Krishna Raja Sagar dam on the Kaveri River in Mysore is one of these.
- The Block System was invented by him, which was a system of automated doors that closed in the conditions of overflow.
As a person:
What was achieved by Sir Visvesvaraya, was not as easy as it seemed, as it required strict discipline from his side.
- Punctuality: He was very famous for his punctuality, it’s said He was never late even by a minute and expected his people also to realize the importance of time.
- Perfectionist: There are many examples to show that even a little task that he took up, was always completed to perfection. Even if it was to deliver a speech, he would think in advance, write and rehearse it number of times.
- Dedication to work: Nothing was able to deter Sir, from his commitment to good work; his work was his worship.
- Courageous: Many of the projects completed by him that India stands proud of today, would not have existed if it was not his will and conviction.
- Fearless Patriot: When it came to India, even high perks given to Sir by the British Government were not enough for him; he opposed everything and anything that was against the favor of his nation.